Mary Eule Scarborough asked:
“Losers make promises they often break. Winners make commitments they always keep. “
After years of working with small business owners and managers, my partner (and husband), David A. Scarborough, and I have developed our own list of personality traits that we believe enhance people’s ability to be more successful personally and professionally.
Briefly, these folks are:
1. Passionate – They love their chosen career and can’t think of anything else they’d rather do.
2. Life-long learners – They are endlessly inquisitive and committed to becoming and/or remaining students of business and marketing.
3. Perceptive – They understand that perception is reality.
4. Patient – They know that “get-rich-quick” schemes are hooey.
5. Prepared – They’ve done their home.work and are poised and ready for opportunity when it comes knocking
6. Tenacious – They have a long-term perspective and are willing to stay the course.
7. Optimistic – They face the brutal facts of reality but choose to maintain a have a positive attitude.
8. Focused on the present – They repeat their past successes and don’t dwell on their past mistakes. They live in the present, their most valuable asset.
9. Reliable – They keep their promises and do what they say they’re going to do.
10. Honest and trustworthy – They understand how long it takes to develop a great reputation and how quick it can be destroyed.
11. Good listeners – They understand that their best marketing tools are their ears.
12. Willing to change – They modify their behaviors, beliefs and attitudes after gaining knowledge that effectively disputes previous notions.
13. Accept responsibility – They step up to the plate and are accountable for their behavior and their actions and never look to blame others.
Wise people recognize that time is their most precious asset. I’ve never heard of, or met, anyone who’s managed to escape life’s disappointment. It’s true