Muna wa Wanjiru asked:
Army Leadership requires encouraging innovation and must reinforce warrior culture in every soldier. The army leadership policy aims at meeting the objectives of Global war On Terrorism (GWOT) and in Contemporary Operating Environment (COE). It also aims at creating self awareness among leaders and the willingness to be adaptive. Major responsibilities of Army leadership;
The major responsibility of army leadership is to incorporate the army ethos in each and every soldier. The army values and training and development are also the main aim of leadership.
Army mentorship programs are given in the web in order to encourage the mentorship in army. In this program, army mentors offer their perspective on what takes to success in army. The main objective of this program is to pass the knowledge to mentee so that he can develop his self confidence, skill and potentiality.
Army leadership defines purpose, motivation and direction to the soldiers to accomplish the mission. It also aims at providing necessary forces and capabilities to support national security and defense strategy. Qualities of an army leader are as follows;
An army leader must be able to operate independently in dynamic and sensitive environment. He must have good communication skill and must be able to cooperate and negotiate with various personnel and with government and non government agencies. He must be able to maintain tactical and technical competence. A good army leader must reinforce army values and national strategic objectives. Some other main qualities required for army leadership are as follows:
1. Loyalty; Loyalty to US constitution and Army unit is a must for an army leader.
2. Duty; A good leader must be dutiful to do legal and moral obligation without the need to specify. He should be able to analyze what should be done.
3. Respect; He must learn to respect others so that they can also respect him.
4. Selfless service; He must have the nature of providing selfless service to the nation and the army.
5. Integrity; Professional army ethics must be strictly followed by a leader. He must be honest and must do only the right things those are legal and moral.
6. Personal courage; an excellent leader is one who must be brave enough to face the toughest situations. He must be able to face danger and risks.
Army leadership includes motivating and influencing others to achieve the objectives. An army leader must be able to extend his influence beyond the direct lines of authority. He must be a role model for others. As he is viewed as an example, he must maintain standards and should provide effective behaviors.
An army leader must have good communication skill. He must express his ideas in an excellent way and must also be ready to listen the words of others. He must therefore use effective communication techniques to translate goals into real actions. He must be able to create a positive environment. He must also encourage the soldiers in achieving organizational objectives. He must be ready to perform his responsibilities fully. He must be aware of his strengths and weaknesses. Awareness of self is important for a leader to fulfill his responsibilities completely.